1. What did you do in 2019 that you’d never done before?
Traveled somewhere almost every month of the year. It was a BUSY but awesome year.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Some of my resolutions from 2018 I kept (read more books, drink less soda) and some I did not (revive my baking blog, exercise more). My only two resolutions for 2019 are to bake/cook more and to exercise more.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A few friends had babies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the US — but daaaamn, I traveled to a lot of places this year!
6. What would you like to have in 2020 that you lacked in 2019?
Less anxiety, more exercise, and a happier personal life.
7. What date from 2019 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Not sure; I don’t think anything super notable happened to me this year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Had a good year at work.
9. What was your biggest failure?
My complete and total failure to exercise regularly. I’m usually pretty good about it but I fell off the wagon hard in 2019.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, other than my usual headaches/migraines.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Every year I made a photobook on Shutterfly; so that’s always my favorite annual purchase.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My momma – who is also my boss. I’m grateful for her patience, understanding, perspective, humor, friendship, and open-mindedness.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Any and all politicians.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Amazon. Let’s be real.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
All of my trips — I love traveling. And I also get really, really, really excited about planning new trips! I should have been a travel agent.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2019?
Anything by Lizzo!!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you
i. happier or sadder?: Happier because I didn’t spend any more time in a bad relationship.
ii. thinner or fatter?: A little fatter (thanks, holidays!!)
iii. richer or poorer?: Same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worry. But I’m a worrier. It’s in my DNA.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my parents in Oshkosh.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
It’s a waste of energy to hate people.
23. What was the best book you read?
I do a whole separate post about my books of the year — and I read 56 of them this year!
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
25. What did you want and get?
Lots of safe, happy, and healthy vacations.
26. What did you want and not get?
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
I can’t even remember what movie(s) I saw in the theater this year. Hmmm. Toy Story 4 was cute, but I wouldn’t call it my favorite.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 35 and was in Oshkosh. Just had dinner with the fam. It’s unexciting when your b-day falls on a Wednesday!
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not sure. I had a pretty nice year.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2019?
Talbots. All the Talbots. Because Talbots = the lady lawyer uniform.
Also, the “Cozy Desert Sweatshirt” from Aerie has been LIFE CHANGING.
31. What kept you sane?
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Lizzo!! (can you tell I’m a big fan?)
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
There are too many to list. TOO. MANY.
34. Who did you miss?
All of my friends who live far away. Which is nearly all of them.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
I’m not sure!
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2019:
Life is really unpredictable. Live it up. Take the vacation. Eat and drink good things. Wear your favorite dress. Don’t waste time in a situation that isn’t serving you or making you happy.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“Why men great ’til they gotta be great?”